The Wolf Humanities Center offers funding for book manuscript workshops to support pre-tenure faculty in Penn's School of Arts & Sciences as they prepare to publish an in-process, pre-tenure book. We will provide up to $3,000 to bring a senior guest scholar to Penn for a day. The Wolf Humanities Center will host a Manuscript Workshop (with lunch) in our Humanities Conference Room for the pre-tenure scholar, the invited senior scholar, and Penn colleagues who are familiar with the manuscript, including members of the pre-tenure scholar's home department (and program, if applicable). The day might also include the following:
- A one-on-one mentoring session meeting between the pre-tenure faculty member and the visiting scholar
- A conversation between the visiting scholar and the pre-tenure faculty member's mentor and/or department chair
- A small dinner
This opportunity is best suited for pre-tenure faculty who have a complete or near-complete book manuscript that has not yet been sent out to a press. Priority will be given to scholars in departments that do not already offer this opportunity. Departments are welcome to supplement the Wolf Center's funds to bring in a second scholar for the workshop, if desired. Funding can be used for the following: guest scholar's travel and accommodations; $1000 honorarium; lunch and dinner.
Call for Applications
2021–2022 Manuscript Workshops
Application Deadline: July 15, 2021
The Wolf Humanities Center is now accepting applications from pre-tenure SAS faculty for 2021–2022 Manuscript Workshops. If in-person campus operations and travel have not resumed, we will support a virtual workshop and provide $1000 for a senior guest scholar's honorarium.
Please submit the following information, saving your document as a single PDF and naming it your Last name_First name.pdf (Franklin_Ben.pdf):
- Your name, title, and department
- Description of your manuscript and desired support (approx. 1000 words)
- Name, title, and affiliation of the senior faculty member you wish to invite; and why their input would be so valuable
- Up-to-date c.v.
Please drop us a note or call 215.746.5940.