Sponsored by the Free Library of Philadelphia and the Penn Humanities Forum of the University of Pennsylvania
Celebrating Lorene Cary's The Price of a Child.
- John F. Street, Mayor, City of Philadelphia
- Elliot Shelkrot, President and Director, Free Library of Philadelphia
- Judith Rodin, President, University of Pennsylvania
- Lorene Cary, Author; Senior Lecturer, English, University of Pennsylvania; Founder, Art Sanctuary
- Houston A. Baker, Susan Fox Beischer & George D. Beischer Arts & Sciences Professor of English and Professor of African and African American Studies, Duke University
- Wendy Steiner, Director, Penn Humanities Forum and Richard L. Fisher Professor of English, University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia's city-wide celebration of reading continues...
One Book, One Philadelphia is a project of the Free Library of Philadelphia, the Office of the Mayor, and many community partners.
Lorene Cary was honored with the 2003 Philadelphia Award in city ceremony on June 12, 2003. Established in 1921 by Edward W. Bok, the Philadelphia Award is given annually to a citizen of the Philadelphia region who, during the preceding year, acted and served on behalf of the best interests of the community. Past recipients have included Mayor John Street, Gov. Ed Rendell, Dr. Bernard C. Watson, Elaine Brown and the late Rev. Paul M. Washington.