The Wolf Humanities Center offers fellowships each year to standing faculty at Penn in the humanities and allied departments. The fellowships are for research that relates to the Center's theme for the year in which the award is granted.
- Junior scholars receive a $5000 research fund stipend (paid in two installments).
- Senior scholars are invited to apply for either a $5000 research fund stipend OR one – possibly two-course reliefs. The Wolf Humanities Center provides course replacement money for up to two courses, to be paid to the fellow’s department at Penn’s LPS instructor rate and to be used solely for course replacement. Advance written approval of any course relief request is required from the applicant’s department chair. Scholars who have already had one semester of course relief (other than administrative course relief) between Fall 2017 and Spring 2020 may only apply for a $5000 research fund stipend. Fellows are required to attend the Wolf Humanities Center's weekly Mellon seminars (Tuesdays, noon–1:50p)* and present their research at one of the sessions during the year. In addition to Penn faculty, seminar members include Mellon Postdoctoral Fellows, regional faculty, the Center's director and topic director, and others.
*NOTE: Interested applicants are advised to check well ahead with their department/s to avoid conflicts in scheduling classes and other obligations.
Call for Applications, 2019–2020
Research Topic: Kinship
Application deadline: March 20, 2019
Applications are being accepted for research on the topic of Kinship, the Center's topic for 2019–20. To apply, please submit the following information as a single PDF, and name it: your Last name_First Name.pdf (Franklin_Ben.pdf):
- Your name, title, and department
- Project Title
- Project Abstract (125 words maximum)
- Project Proposal (approx. 1000 words)
- Up-to-date c.v.
If you are applying for course relief, please ask your department chair to email Sara Varney by March 20, 2019 with their written approval of your application and course relief request.