The Wolf Humanities Center offers fellowships each year to Penn undergraduate students from any school who are interested in conducting extracurricular research in the humanities on some aspect of the Center's annual theme. Students must be full time, on campus for the full academic year of the award, and in good academic standing.
Fellows become members of the Wolf Undergraduate Humanities Forum, a community of undergrads who meet to discuss and present their research, pursue various cultural activities of common interest, and occasionally meet in special receptions with the Wolf Humanities Center's distinguished speakers. In the past, these speakers have included Zadie Smith, Michelle Alexander, Junot Diaz, Slavoj Žižek, and Colson Whitehead. The year's program culminates in a spring conference at which students give formal presentations on the results of their research.
Fellows are required to attend and participate in biweekly meetings, Fridays 3:00–5:00pm, as well as the Undergraduate Humanities Forum Research Conference, scheduled next academic year for Friday, March 26, 2021. Additional opportunities and outings for fellows will be announced during the year.
The annual call for applications opens each November and closes in mid-March.
Call for Applications, 2020–2021 (DEADLINE EXTENDED!)
Research Topic: Choice
Application deadline: April 19, 2020
The Wolf Humanities Center is offering 12 fellowships for the 2020–2021 academic year for Penn undergraduates from any school who are interested in conducting research on some aspect of Choice, the Forum's theme that year. Applicants must be full time and in good academic standing. Awards are available in three categories:
- Research Fellowship and Undergraduate Chair (one $2000 award)
- Research Fellowship and Member, Executive Board (two $1750 awards)
- Research Fellowships (up to nine $1500 awards)
What's needed? A completed application form, an unofficial transcript, and one letter of recommendation from a Penn faculty member who is closely involved with the project. Please note that the application form asks applicants to consult with and identify a faculty advisor who will work with them on their proposed research during the fellowship year.
- Please upload your application form and an unofficial copy of your transcript as a single PDF to our secure server no later than April 19, 2020, 11:59pm EST. Please name your file: LastName_FirstName.pdf.
- Please ask your referee to upload their confidential letter of recommendation to our secure server no later than than April 19, 2020, 11:59pm EST. Letters should not be emailed.