The Wolf Humanities Center offers fellowships each year to Penn undergraduate students from any school who are interested in conducting extracurricular research in the humanities on some aspect of the Center's annual theme. Students must be full time, on campus for the full academic year of the award, and in good academic standing.
Fellows become members of the Wolf Undergraduate Humanities Forum, a community of undergrads who meet to discuss and present their research, pursue various cultural activities of common interest, and occasionally meet in special receptions with the Wolf Humanities Center's distinguished speakers. In the past, these speakers have included Zadie Smith, Michelle Alexander, Junot Diaz, Slavoj Žižek, and Colson Whitehead. The year's program culminates in a spring conference at which students give formal presentations on the results of their research.
Fellows are required to attend and participate in biweekly meetings, which during the 2019–2020 academic year will be on Fridays from 3:00–5:00pm, as well as the Undergraduate Humanities Forum Research Conference scheduled for Friday, March 28, 2020. Additional opportunities and outings for fellows will be announced during the year.
The annual call for applications opens each November and closes in mid-March.
Call for Applications, 2019–2020
Research Topic: Kinship
Application deadline: March 20, 2019
The Wolf Humanities Center is offering 12 fellowships for the 2019–2020 academic year for Penn undergraduates from any school who are interested in conducting research on some aspect of Kinship, the Forum's theme that year. Applicants must be full time and in good academic standing. Awards are available in three categories:
- Research Fellowship and Undergraduate Chair (one $2000 award)
- Research Fellowship and Member, Executive Board (two $1750 awards)
- Research Fellowships (up to nine $1500 awards)
What's needed? Your completed application form, unofficial transcript, and one letter of recommendation from your undergraduate chair or a faculty member in your major. Please note that the application form asks applicants to consult with and identify a faculty advisor who will work with them on their proposed research during the fellowship year.
- Please upload your application form and an unofficial copy of your transcript as a single PDF to our secure server no later than March 20, 2019, 11:59pm EST. Please name your file: LastName_FirstName.pdf.
- Please ask your referee to upload their confidential letter of recommendation to our secure server no later than than March 20, 2019, 11:59pm EST. Letters should not be emailed.