The Wolf Humanities Center offers fellowships each year to Penn undergraduate students from any school who are interested in conducting extracurricular research in the humanities on some aspect of the Center's annual theme. Students must be full time, on campus for the full academic year of the award, and in good academic standing.
Fellows become members of the Wolf Undergraduate Humanities Forum, a community of undergrads who meet biweekly to discuss and present their research, pursue various cultural activities of common interest, and occasionally meet in special receptions with the Wolf Humanities Center's distinguished speakers. In the past, these speakers have included Zadie Smith, Michelle Alexander, Junot Diaz, Slavoj Žižek, and Colson Whitehead. The year's program culminates in a spring conference at which students give formal presentations on the results of their research.
The annual call for applications opens each November and closes in mid-March.
Call for Applications, 2017–2018
Research Topic: Afterlives
Application deadline: March 20, 2017 CLOSED
The Wolf Humanities Center is offering 12 fellowships for the 2017–2018 academic year for Penn undergraduates from any school who are interested in conducting research on some aspect of Afterlives, the Forum's theme that year. Applicants must be full time and in good academic standing. Awards are available in three categories:
- Research Fellowship and Undergraduate Chair: One $2000 award
- Research Fellowship and Member, Executive Board: Two $1750 awards
- Research Fellowships: Up to nine $1500 awards
TO APPLY: What's needed? Your completed application, unofficial transcript, and one letter of recommendation from your undergraduate chair or a faculty member in your major.
- Application: Please save your file as a PDF and name it LastName_FirstName.pdf
- Transcript: Please include an unofficial copy of your Penn transcript as the last page of your application.
- Letter of Recommendation: We require one confidential letter of recommendation, ideally from a faculty member in your major. Please ask your referee to upload that letter here no later than March 20, 2017. Letters should not be emailed.